TUMBLR 101: HOW TAGS WORK! (May 2017)
Tags vs. Search
- The tumblr search function will search the tags and captions of all new (i.e. not reblogged) posts that do not contain an external link.
- EXAMPLE: www.tumblr.com/search/perioddramaedit returns posts that mention perioddramaedit, either in the body of the post or in the tags
- The tumblr /tagged/ function returns all the posts in a tag in reverse-chronological order. Popular tags on tumblr may have years worth of posts in them.
- EXAMPLE: www.tumblr.com/tagged/perioddramaedit returns posts tagged perioddramaedit in the first 5 tags.
- Read more about Tags vs Search
The first 5 tags!
- The first 5 tags are your best bet!
- Only the first 5 tags show up in tracked tags. Tracked tags are more reliable than search if you want your content to be seen and / or reblogged.
- Put the important tags (ex. show name, actor name, artist name) in the first 5 tags.
- Only the first 20 tags show up in search.
- Only the first 20 tags will cause the post to show up in the tag on your blog
- So start with the important tags for tracked tags / search, then add tags like “my edits” or “mine” for your own blog organization, and then add FEELINGS and TAG COMMENTARY at the end.
- Only new posts will show up in public tracked tags or search. Reblogs will not show up in tracked tags or search.
- Avoid unnecessary punctuation. Apostrophes ’ are ok to use, but tags with a slash / or a hyphen – or a plus sign + or an equal sign = will NOT show up in tracked tags.
- Posts with external links will NOT show up in search.
- See a list of sites that tumblr no longer allows linking.
- Posts with external links WILL show up in tracked tags. So use tracked tags and put the important tags in the first 5 tags!!
- Don’t tag your hate; it’s considered rude
- If you use anti tags like #ANTI SHIPNAME, everyone who is searching for SHIPNAME will see your anti post. Don’t use SHIPNAME when creating your anti tag if you don’t want people to get upset about it.
- Don’t put something that isn’t an edit in an edit tag. People are going into the edit tag to look for edits and if your post isn’t an edit, it defeats the purpose of the edit tag.
- Don’t spam the tags.
- Reblog; don’t repost
- The OP (original poster) will often read your tags when you reblog a post, so if you say something nasty in the tags, the OP will (probably) see it. Say something nice instead!
Other useful tips:
- Install new-xkit-extension to improve your tumblr experience
- How to go to a specific date/time in any tag
- More info on tumblr’s search and discovery
- Popular ASOIAF fandom edit tags
Inspired by this post